Society wants us to feel ugly. If we feel ugly, we’ll be dissatisfied.
We’ll need to fill that void with something. So we’ll buy more food to kill the pain, or we’ll buy vacations, or more weight loss programs, or more magazines to motivate us. If we all felt great in our bodies, if we all owned just a few outfits that made us feel fabulous, why on earth would we need to keep spending money?
Society has a vested interest in you feeling ugly.
Sheila Wray Gregoire (via randomkatie)
Sad but true. Society wants the majority of people to be unhappy, because if everyone was happy, the economy would collapse. Happy, satisfied people simply don’t spend as much.
Since I started the Questions meme, and since GreyDuck put out some really great questions, I’m going to answer his questions too! So here they are, with my answers:
1. What’s the thing you stand for which elicits the most snarky commentary from your friends?
Hmm. Tough one! Probably the fact that I continue to practice Catholicism. I don’t think the Catholic Church is perfect (far from it!), and I do believe that organized religion can do a ton of harm, depending on how it’s practiced. But I stopped going to the Church for a while in college and after a few months, I missed it. So despite all its flaws and drawbacks, it’s still satisfying some need for me.
2. Instead of “what superpower would you pick,” let’s tweak things a bit: You can commission the creation of a flask of magic potion. What does it do?
CURE MENTAL ILLNESS (depression, anxiety, etc). (And I know there are plenty of other worthy things I could choose, but I’m doing the choosing, and that’s the #1 thing I could pick to change.) (Also, I want that to be a really BIG flask that I can share with all my friends.)
3. The pen is mightier than the sword; which writing/drawing implement is your weapon of choice?
Keyboard. I hate writing longhand, though I’ll do it when the computer isn’t convenient or handy.
4. Giant robots or giant monsters?
Hmm. I guess monsters, since I think those would be easier to disable/kill than the robots.
5. You survived one HELL of a day. You conquered the demons, you earned the accolades, so now… what does your celebratory dinner look like?
Hmm. Hmm. I’m guessing I can have anything I want… and yet my first thought is still that I’ll take a nice pizza and a pitcher of iced tea. And some chocolate ice cream for dessert.
6. I’m a bit of a heroine addict. I watch magical girl anime, I thought “Haywire” was a decent little action movie, and I sometimes refer to “Iron Man 2,” “Avengers Assemble,” and “Captain America: The Winter Soldier” as “The Black Widow Trilogy.” Who should have her own movie that most folks may not have thought of yet?
Excellent question. I’d enjoy seeing a Thursday Next movie, although I suspect those books are a bit too quirky to ever see the screen. As an alternative, I’d suggest Rachael Morgan and Ivy Tamworth from Kim Harrison’s Hallows series; they’re both pretty badass and would translate well to film.
7. On the boys’ side… Better action franchise: Bourne or Bond?
Bourne for sure. Bond was too campy and then went too far in the other direction. Bourne is a nice middle ground.
8. What do you find absolutely fascinating about the natural world?
That life exists in so many forms and permutations and survives in some incredibly unforgiving conditions, like frozen wastelands, huge deserts, and the ocean depths.
9. What is the best kind of light? The cold light just before dawn, the flickering of a candle, the steady illumination of a good reading lamp, or something else entirely?
Cool question! I’ll go with nice warming sunlight first thing in the morning, since that sparks lots of good action in the brain. (Although I’ll admit that the less practical side of me was leaning towards something like soft twilight at dusk.)
10. Name a song that everybody absolutely needs to hear.
"Breathe" by Alexi Murdoch. I think we could all use a reminder to hang in there and take a deep breath now & then.
11. Albert Einstein is said to have insisted that God does not play dice with the universe. So, what game DOES the Almighty play instead? (Insert deity of choice. I’m an atheist, I won’t mind.)
I was going to say Carcassonne, which is my current gaming obsession, but then I had a sudden vision of God playing Words With Friends and waiting with eternal patience for his opponent to play. So I’ll go with that, since it made me laugh.
I was tagged by aboleyn24 — here are the questions she sent me:
1.How many languages do you speak?
Just one, really. I know a teeny bit of French but I’ve forgotten so much that I wouldn’t be able to hold a conversation.
2. Name a movie that would shock most people that you haven’t seen.
Hmm… there are so many! But I’ll go with Captain America: the Winter Soldier. (Movie tickets are pretty expensive here so I’m waiting for the DVD release.)
3. What is your favorite social media site and least favorite?
Right now, I’d say Tumblr is my favorite. It used to be Twitter, but all the social commentary is just draining me. Facebook is my least favorite — too much noise/clutter and too little control over my feed.
4. What is your dream car?
Don’t really have one! I’m content with my little Scion.
Uh-oh, no question 5… not sure what happened there.
6. What is your biggest pet peeve?
People driving while talking on a cellphone. They seem to be everywhere these days and their driving is usually slow or erratic as a result.
7. Are you Groot?
I am Groot! (How did you know?)
8. Do you have any weird food combinations that you love but are ashamed to eat in front of people?
No, unless I’m eating something weird and don’t realize it. :-)
9. Is there a song or two that whenever you hear it, it instantly puts a smile on your face and changes your mood for the better?
Don’t think so… my musical favorites vary wildly depending on my mood.
10. What band or musician would you love to spend the day with?
11. How do you really feel when you get tagged in things like this?
I have mixed feelings — I’m flattered to be tagged, but then I actually have to put forth some effort… :-}
Okay, here are the questions I’m posing:
1. What’s your favorite board game?
2. How many books (roughly) did you read in the past year?
3. What franchise do you like better, X-Men or Avengers? (Yes, you have to choose!)
4. What’s your favorite musical decade (70’s, 80’s, etc.)?
5. If you could live in any time period in history, which one would you choose?
6. How many foreign countries have you visited, if any?
7. Have you ever re-read a required book from school to see if you still liked/hated it?
8. Name a TV series you’d like to see rebooted.
9. Do you believe in luck?
10. Which Harry Potter book did you like best?
11. What’s your favorite Pixar movie?
I don’t actually know 11 people on Tumblr to tag! But here are the few I do know, plus one I follow who might play along: theblackberrybelle littlegreyduck oreyverse cmmehle brightmeadow suddenlydarcy
(And I won’t feel offended if anyone doesn’t want to play… we’re all busy and I know these things take time.)
Old Spice ALS Ice Bucket Challenge
everyone go home this is the best one.
Also apparently they’ve reached over $50 MILLION IN DONATIONS this is freaking amazing ;___;
WHY IS HE SO PERFECT.
MOTHER OF PEARL.
HE’S BACK THANK THE GODS
That was awesome. I’d forgotten how much I love the Old Spice Guy.